Bedbugs are tiny insects that commonly feed on human blood. During the day, they live in crevices in bedframes and furniture. At night, they come out to feed, typically on a sleeping person. Common symptoms of a bite include swelling, redness and itchiness.
An adult bedbug is only ¼ of an inch long with a flat, oval-shaped body. In size and appearance, it looks very much like an apple seed. It is naturally a light brownish-yellow color, but turns reddish-brown after it has fed. Reliable signs of the presence of bedbugs include areas marked by dark spotting and staining, remnants of their shed skins and small round blood spots on bedsheets.
Advice on how to avoid the bedbugs
- Carefully inspect any used furniture that you buy, before you bring it into your home
- When on vacation, never keep your suitcase open on the floor or near the hotel bed
- Do not bring your suitcase immediately inside when you get home
- Wash your clothes in hot water
- Place potentially-infested items in the freezer for at least 24 hours
You can’t get rid of bedbugs on your own, and there are no quick solutions to removing them from your home. Extensive knowledge about bedbugs and their lifecycle is necessary in order to effectively eliminate them without unnecessary exposure to pesticide residues. We use the latest tools and methods, including heating and freezing, to neutralize these pests, and we maintain clear lines of communication with you during the entire process so that you know what we are doing and why we are doing it.
Important tips during treatment
- Do not enter treated rooms for at least two hours
- After the initial two hours, you can use the rooms and their furniture as usual. However, do not move or remove furniture, bedding or other objects in the treated rooms until we have given the go-ahead
- Highly sensitive people – those suffering from asthma or allergies, children under two years, pregnant women – and pets should avoid spending extended amounts of time in treated rooms as long as any odors persist
- Do not mop or vacuum the rooms during the treatment period
- Do not hang laundered curtains until the treatment is over